Re: dvips35.map disappearing from ls-R after force-purge-then-reinstall of tex-common

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:

> Isn't the lesson that no static files should be in /var/lib/texmf/?  We
> could just put the symlink into TEXMFDIST/web2c.

Yes, I think so. I'd say:

  1. When several packages share a directory for storing generated files
     (not registered with dpkg), you're in trouble for the purge
     procedure. Especially when these packages are maintained by
     different people.

  2. In this particular case, we would be safe if:

       a) Every package that uses /var/lib/texmf/ depended on
          tex-common (so that tex-common can wipe out the directory when
          purged).

       b) Every non-optional file stored in /var/lib/texmf/ was
          regenerated at configure time by the responsible package (so
          that the sequence I gave in my previous mail doesn't cause any
          file loss under /var/lib/texmf/).

As far as the pool files are concerned, this is static stuff, right? So,
they are in the wrong TEXMF tree, IMHO. As for mfw.base, I don't know
its purpose, so I cannot comment.

Regards,

--
Florent