Re: dvips35.map disappearing from ls-R after force-purge-then-reinstall of tex-common

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:

> Why does dvips35.map disappear from the ls-R db after
> removing (OK, with --force-depends) and reinstalling tex-common?

Because of this in tex-common's postrm.in:

  remove)
    # remove TEXMFSYSVARDIR: All files and dirs are created either by
    # us, or by packages depending on us.
    rm -rf $TEXMFSYSVARDIR

(As a side note, shouldn't this be "rm -rf $TEXMFSYSVARDIR/*"
instead?), and /usr/share/texmf-tetex/ls-R is a symlink to
/var/lib/texmf/ls-R-TEXMFDIST-TETEX.

I think it is good to take care that no old generated files survive
after tex-common is removed, this should generally make upgrades and
installing-again easier.  However, it seems we have to take more care.

We can check in tex-common's postinst whether mktexlsr is already
available, and execute it if it is.  Will that be sufficient?  I guess
the other candidates (update-*, fmtutil-sys, updmap-sys) can be safely
let to the depending packages, and should be.

Debian Developer (teTeX)