Re: Problem while install tetex

Prakash Countcham <prakash.countcham@imag.fr> wrote:

> I got no information about this file :
>
> $ dpkg -S /usr/share/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
> dpkg : /usr/share/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg introuvable.

As expected.

>> will not give any output.  The file must be some leftover - if it is a
>> real file, please delete it or move it away; if it is a symbolic link,
>> please look and tell us where it points to before removing it.
>
> I removed it because it was a real file saying that it was generated by
> update-updmap .  Now the installation worked.  I've also got a file called
> /usr/share/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf .  Should I remove it too?

Yes, but please send us the file modification date (simply ls -l is
sufficient).

>> It could, for example, make a difference whether you are logged in as root
>> on a console or did a "su" after logging in as user, or from a user
>> Xsession.
>
> I was logged as root when I typed this command.
>
>> To debug this further, please get to a shell as you would do for
>> installing packages, and send us the output of the following commands:
>
> # kpsewhich --format='web2c files' updmap.cfg
> /var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
>
> # kpsewhich --expand-var='$TEXMF'
> {!!/root/.texmf-config,!!/root/.texmf-var,/root/texmf,!!/usr/local/share/texmf,!!/var/lib/texmf,!!/usr/share/texmf}
>
> # kpsewhich --format='web2c files' texmf.cnf
> /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
>
> # echo $TEXMF
>

> # echo $TEXINPUTS

This is strange, since on my system:

alhambra:~# touch /usr/share/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
alhambra:~# kpsewhich --format='web2c files' updmap.cfg
/var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg

and updmap-sys also uses that file.  There seems to be something amiss
on your system, but I have no idea what.  For the time being, removing
the generated files from /usr/share/texmf/web2c should fix your
installation problems, but it might be that some time later the strange
prevalence of /usr/share/texmf over /var/lib/texmf strikes back...