Re: ZFS'ing my T5120 with Debian

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 09:19:20PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> You can just mirror the partition to each disk, then GRUB can just boot
> from any of the disks.

Thanks.  I started down this path yesterday, using mdadm.  I assume that's
what you mean by mirror above?  If so, I'm good, I was able to figure out
how to get that done.  (sun partition question remains*)

> The Sun partition table is only needed for a given disk if you want
> to be able to boot from that disk. The kernel itself supports any
> of the partition tables that parted supports.
> [...]
> If all of the disks shall be bootable from GRUB, they have to have a Sun
> partition table.

Right.  I figured that, that it's an "OBP doesn't know GPT", which is fine.
I'm back to all sun labels now, working on laying out my disks again.

> But you should maybe post your GRUB-specific questions on the GRUB mailing
> list. I have never tried ZFS as a boot partition so I don't really know
> which configurations are supported.

Thanks.  I will do that when I get back to grub.

Another question I will ask here, because despite being mostly a parted
question, it is I suspect specific to the sun label.

I've made a 500mb software-raid (md) partition (side question: what is a good
size for /boot?  10s or 100s of mb?  500m seems plenty large.), and now am
trying to make the "rest of disk" zfs partition.  However, I can't figure out
how to make a partition that parted thinks is aligned.  I'm sure this is just
me not knowing these tools well, but I can't for the life of me find a way
to get it to actually make the partition where I want it to (without "the
closest location we can manage is..." or get it to feel it's aligned.  Web
research suggests making calulations based on
/sys/block/sdb/queue/optimal_io_size, but that's 0 for me.  I should find
a parted list to ask on, but if anyone here has advice for using parted to
make partitions parted is happy with on a sun disk. Let me know.

                  - Chris