Re: Creating sparc64 installation images

> Is davem such a grumpy person that you don't dare to send him your patches?
> I'm pretty sure, he'll take all the changes you made since guys have the
> knowledge to do proper improvements to the code and test it on bleeding-edge
> hardware.

No. DaveM is usually very busy getting hammered by a range of various folk
(usually kernel related) and I appreciate that everyone has their own coding
styles/practices, priorities, mannerisms that may conflict. It's something that
all the top end maintainers have to wrestle with.

There are coding style guidelines for the kernel and for some GNU projects,
however, in the struggle to get working code those are occasionally thrown out
the window. From a maintainers POV it's ugly to see several coding styles while
trying to read code. Myself, I come from a Pascal/Ada background and my coding
style and indentation/commenting and code flow reflects that.

It doesn't matter that the code does what it says on the side of the tin (and
actually works), if I submit code to a maintainer, if they end up having to
rewrite a patch to fit style guidelines, it can be irksome and if they're
handling a large stack of OTHER submitted patches from a large number of folk
they're quite likely to  decide that they don't have the time to deal with it
and push back requesting a restyled patch. Keep in mind that may not just be
down to  the flow of text but how you use variables eg something trivial like
x=++var; vs x=var++;

Anyway what I'm trying to say here is that I've not sanitized those patches and
I wouldn't throw them at DaveM as yet until I had (free time pending)

Phil
=--=