Re: Creating sparc64 installation images

On Fri, 2015-12-25 at 15:34 +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 12/25/2015 01:59 PM, Bryce wrote:
<snip>
> > > Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Oracle Linux is
> > > only for virtualised guests so might have gotchas on bare metal.
> >
> > you're wrong 8)
> > it's capable of running as baremetal. In fact that how I originally
> > started it.
> > I've been driving that original baremetal box for 3 years now, so I
> > can say that it's reasonably robust.
>
> Good to hear. I also expected there would be no limitations regarding
> real hardware since the binaries are in the end just sparcv9
> binaries, just the kernel might be trimmed down for virtualization
> with all the unnecessary drivers removed.
>
> > There are visualization drivers fixed up/built that allow for the
> > kernel to run in a Solaris driven LDM environment (in fact, thats
> > the way we usually develop in-house since we can toss the running
> > LDM's and recreate a new bootable environment from scratch inside 3
> > minutes flat). Wim will happily flog you a virtualization solution
> > for a build platform though 8) -cough-
>
> Again, great to hear. I'm very glad you guys are around on debian
> sparc@l.d.o so you can always chime in when we're having issues!

Hi Wim,

With that in mind, would it be possible to port OpenStack? Letting it
install on Linux for Sparc. Too virtualize lxd/lxc containers with the
nova-compute module? I know OpenStack is supported by Solaris, true.
But my question is about native Linux on baremetal.

Thanks,

Frans van Berckel