Re: Creating sparc64 installation images

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Hi!

We have had some discussion in private mails and on other lists
regarding the creation of installation for sparc64.

I am currently working on creating new installation images on an
old Sun Blade 100 workstation I borrowed tomorrow following a guide
that was created by Helge Deller (CC):

https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/How_to_create_Debian_unstable_iso_images

Helge already successfully built images for alpha and hppa [1], however
those still require a dedicated mirror where some arch-specific files
are stored, see [2].

Thus, we should try to improve on the process such that the generated
ISOs can actually be installed stand-alone (besides the mirror downloads
that the netinst image is performing).

Any further help and input is appreciated! Getting new sparc64
installation images is actually important for us since we should update
the kernels on the buildds as soon as possible since the outdated
3.2.0 kernels might be responsible for many of the segfaults we are
seeing during builds [3].

If anyone makes any progress or questions creating those images, please
post them on the list, prerably in this thread.

Cheers,
Adrian

[1] ftp://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian-cd/
[2] ftp://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian-cd/alpha/README
[3] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=765567#83

I don't think I can usefully help since I'm too far down the Debian management/development learning curve (and have rather a lot of other stuff on my plate), but could you give us a pointer to where the netinst image can be found, compatible hardware, what sources.list should be, and where testers should report issues.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk