Re: sparc video problems

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 10:44:24AM +0100, Gary Parker wrote:
> Admar Schoonen wrote:
> >Wrong. You can change the default resolution at the open boot prompt, as
> >documented at
> >http://040.digital-bless.com/texts/Unofficial_Sun_Blade_100_FAQ.htm
> >(search for output-device on that page). According to that page, 1152 x
> >900 at
> >76 Hz is the default resolution.
>
> I respectfully beg to differ. That may be the case for Blade100's but my
> Ultra10 flatly refused to display anything from OBP on a TFT I have and
> no amount of fiddling with the output-device settings fixed it.

Odd. I have OBP 3.something in my U5. According to the OpenBoot 3.x Quick
Reference (search for 802-3240-10 on sunsolve.sun.com), it should have a
'sentenv output-device' option, although it doesn't tell me there if it can be
used to change the resolution; perhaps it's only to switch to/from a tty?

Anyway, http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-sparc-obpreference.xml more or less
implicidly states that output-device can be used to change resolution, since it
gives an example for how to do that, and then adds:

"Additionally, for users using the onboard video card based on the ATI Mach64
chipset (Ultra 5/10 and Blade 100/150), you will want to append the following to
your kernel boot options: [...]"

Unfortunately, my U5 is broken, so I can't verify this. I hope you can still
access your OBP via serial console; OBP is very useful when something is wrong
or something needs to be changed (eg, boot from network instead of hard disk).

Admar