sparc video problems

I just purchased a ultra sparc 5 for the first time today.  I am a virgin in sparc territory and am completely at a loss.  I administrate several debian servers but all of them are x86 based.  Well it has a regular looking VGA port on the back but when I hook the monitor up I get no video.  Once in a while there will be lines across the screen but that’s about it.  It does beep so it sounds like it is posting and I can hear hard drive activity, but no video.  I have tried changing the resolution using the following commands

Stop a

Setenv output-device screen:r1024x768x60

Reset

But I still get nothingL  The person I bought the machine from did include a 13w3 connecter but there is no place to plug the thing in.  I know my monitor can easily support the 1024x768x60 resolution so I don’t think that is the issue.  Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.