Etch beta 2 on Sunfire V240 with 2.6.16-1 kernel - works fantastic
Just to let you know, Etch with the 2.6.16-1 kernel from Sid/Unstable
Even the Broadcom tg3 NICs are working properly (although I needed udev
rules to fix their names as they seem to change names randomly between
reboots as they are enumerated).
Many thanks Jurij for his assistance.
Procedure to install:
1. Install a PCI NIC that is known to work on Sparc Linux (i.e. 3Com
3C59x or similar)
2. Install from Debian Etch beta
3. Allow the installation to complete and reboot from the hard disk.
At this point the system will hang on rebooting into the new Linux
environment - 'Switching root ....'
4. Boot the Etch CD again and type rescue at the Silo boot prompt.
5. Drop out of the installer to the ash shell (select Go Back then
choose the shell option from the Debian installer menu)
6. Mount all filesystems and chroot into the new system (partitions
below are for my system, yours may vary):
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/usr
mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/var
chroot /mnt /bin/bash
7. Mount your pseudo filesystems and bring up your network interfaces:
ifconfig lo up
ifconfig eth0 netmask 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.64
route add -net 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 gw 192.168.0.254
8. Add the sid repositories to /etc/apt/sources.list
9. apt-get update && apt-get install linux-image-2.6.16-1-sparc64-smp
10. update /etc/silo.conf and add the new kernel
11. Reboot into Linux/Sparc joy!
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify
This email has been scanned for all viruses by the FFastFill Email