Re: shiny-server in debian

On Sun, Mar 27, 2022 at 09:17:14AM +0300, Andrius Merkys wrote:
> Sorry I cannot keep up with all the developments. I have no idea how
> shiny-server work,

Me neither, I was looking into docs and running it. Well, someone has to
do it.

> Replying only to Eric's summary of nodejs dependencies.
>
> On 2022-03-27 06:20, Eric Brown wrote:
> > So in summary, I think we should try, if this sounds sensible:
> > 1. remove libjs-sockjs as a dependency of shiny-server
>
> Sure, libjs-sockjs is superseded by node-sockjs-client, and should not
> only be removed from shiny-server dependencies, but from Debian
> altogether.

+1

> I will contact libjs-sockjs maintainer about that.

I do not think engaging there makes sense. If you look at the current maintainer's packages,
barring a few, all of them have been orphaned.
So I don't think doing more beaurocracy than needed is worth our time, I'd simply
suggest filing an RM.

> > 2. add back the dist directory to node-sockjs-client, and add
> > node-sockjs-client as a dependency of shiny-server
>
> Right, node-sockjs-client is indeed missing the dist/ directory. This is
> due to incomplete build (me to blame), I will attempt to fix it.

I did so and uploaded. Not sure if it is done well, but it looked okay on
basic checking. Please consider taking a look.

I also updated this to latest version.

> > 3. update outdated node-shiny-server-client to latest upstream
>
> Seems a wise thing to do.

I have done so.

@Eric, if you can try with the newer versions of these packages to check if your
second app looks better, that'd be much appreciated.
If it is, then rest stuff should be relatively easy to fix.

Regards,
Nilesh