Re: cctbx debian package

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 00:33:48 +0200
Radostan Riedel <raybuntu@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi Fred,

Hello

> I was thinking about the problems with libann. Upstream is linking additional
> symbols into a shlib and calls it libann. Since the additional code is very
> specific to cctbx I doubt we can get it into ANN upstream. But I think I know
> what we can do. I can patch it so far that using the option "--use_system_libs"
> it will only build a shlib lets call it 'libann_adaptbx' with that additional code.
> It's not so much to change since only only 2 extensions and libspotfinder is
> depending on libann:

the only concern about this is if this modified libann is part of a
public API provided by cctbx. so is it possible to use #include
<cctbx.h> or something else without the header of this modify
libann ?

for the extension to me this is not a problem you should build a
"private share library" called libann_adaptbx (like noinst_xxx target
with automake) [1].

If I remember correctly this link the the object of the noinst library
into the library which use it.

If this is not clear for you do not hesitate to ask for a better
explaination.

> $ grep "LIBS.*ann" **/SConscript
> annlib_adaptbx/ann/boost_python/SConscript:env.Prepend(LIBS=["ann",])
> rstbx/apps/SConscript:env.Prepend(LIBS=["ann","spotfinder"])
> spotfinder/SConscript:  LIBS=["ann","omptbx"]+env_etc.libm
>
> I'm not sure if libspotfinder is even using any symbols of libann. I remembering some
> warnings from dpkg-shlibdep about unused symbols. But I'll check.

if libspotfinder do not use ann it would be perfect :)
beware dlopen , this can gives thoses unused symbols, just check

> The same could be done for cbflib. The changes here would be even smaller.
> What is your opinion on that?

yes

See you

Frederic

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Libtool-Convenience-Libraries

--
GPG public key 4096R/4696E015 2011-02-14
    fingerprint = E92E 7E6E 9E9D A6B1 AA31  39DC 5632 906F 4696 E015

GPG public key 1024D/A59B1171 2009-08-11
    fingerprint = 1688 A3D6 F0BD E4DF 2E6B  06AA B6A9 BA6A A59B 1171
uid  Picca Frédéric-Emmanuel <picca@debian.org>