Re: tasks overview wishlist: Canonical citing reference

Am Donnerstag, den 16.10.2008, 17:41 +0200 schrieb Michael Banck:
> The problem I have with doc-base is that it is underused and not very
> accessible.  At least that is my impression of it as somebody who
> doesn't care a lot about it from a packager's POV.  I probably should
> care more, though.

I know lots of long-term Debian users who are not even aware of doc-base
at all... I do share your POV here.

> So anyway, I'd really like to have something usable for users in
> /usr/share/doc/<package> and not just some meta-data stream that's
> marked up reasonably somewhere else.  Maybe it's best to have a seperate
> citation.bib and references.bib file with just the bibtex data?

This is IMHO the solution to go for. Adam's idea is quite good as well,
and as I see it, they're complementary in that we could use doc-base for
now and use the data (better: the .doc-base files) to generate the
citations.bib and references.bib out of those entries via a script.

I would not mind having a citations.bib in /usr/share/doc/package,
though. It has the advantage that it's directly useable by any user. A
good solution to me is one where there is no copy & paste involved,
meaning everything the user needs to use cite/reference is to add a
database to the reference manager of choice. (Or LaTeX, which I'd count
as reference manager in this case as well.)

Best regards
Manuel