Re: tasks overview wishlist: Canonical citing reference

Le Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 12:06:59AM -0400, Adam C Powell IV a écrit :

> I figured it would point to one or more separate .bib files instead of
> having the entry inside the doc-base file.  It seems like it has the
> best of both worlds: use current files and infrastructure, but allow
> expansion to a centralized citation list as soon as squeeze.

Hi Adam,

The idea sounds good. Let's try to summarise.

Although it was not the original idea, the proposition to ship
bibliographic files in the BibTeX format has some support.

To help our users to cite correctly the programs they use, we could:

 - Prepare files named 'reference' of 'citation' in the source package.
 - Install them with dh_installdocs in /usr/share/doc/packagename.
 - Register them with Doc-Base, with the abstract clarifying which
   citation to use for which program if necessary.

To help prospective users to better know about the program, we could:
 - Parse the reference of citation file from our repositories and create
   a link from the package description on Alioth to the most relevant
   article(s), possibly using the DOI system.
 - Alternatively, use a 'X-' field in the control file of the source
   packages, and parse it from our repositories for the same purpose. In
   the absence of easy way to construct an URL, a plaintext reference
   could be provided.

If the idea is accepted, we can try to implement in in a few pakcages,
and document the process in the wiki page and/or the group policy if it
worked well. We probably will have to make a wishlist bug (with patch?)
to add a new section to Doc-Base.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy