Re: tasks overview wishlist: Canonical citing reference

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 15:17 +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:40:26AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> >  - Prepare files named 'reference' of 'citation' in the source package.
>
> Did you mean 'reference' *or* 'citation'?  As I argued elsewhere, I
> think both are quite different, and both files have their merit.
>
> Also, what format are you now talking about?  For the "references" file,
> bibtex format sounds fine, but as elsewhere discussed, it makes less
> sense for the "citation" file.  Further, would it be possible to have
> a boilerplate comment at the top which would get ignored by the doc-base
> stuff, but would be useful for the users browsing
> /usr/share/doc/<package>? Something like "For more information regarding
> this package, see the following publications: <bibtex>".

I think the "For more information" can go in the .doc-base file
abstract, and most bibliographic metadata formats including BibTeX have
a comment field where a package maintainer can put this information as
well.

> If we think
> bibtex is too unclear for some users, we could also include a free-form
> reference in the comments above the bibtex data.

I agree, it would help a lot of users to have a free form reference, as
well as a clickable link.  But should developers need to put this
redundant information in the package, or should we rely on future
doc-base front-ends (dhelp, dwww, etc.) to do it?  I'd prefer the
latter, as there's less for the developer to update -- it's less likely
that the dev will update one format and not the others, particularly if
someone adopts the package.

Also, what other open formats do people use for citations?  Is there a
format which OpenOffice can use?  (I've found bibliographies in OOo to
be a real pain, so I just do them in latex/bibtex even if collaborators
want the main paper/proposal to be in OOo.)  I do *not* think we should
have Debian tools parse EndNote etc.

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/