Re: New lintian pages available for testing

tim hall <tim@64studio.com> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:

>> If you want to take a look at how good (or bad) the templates look, the
>> ones that generated those pages are in:
>>
>>     /org/lintian.debian.org/lintian-test/reporting/templates
>>
>> on gluck.d.o.

> Not being a DD, I probably can't access this.

http://svn.wolffelaar.nl/lintian/trunk/reporting/templates/

will also work.

> My current forward thinking on the presentation of reports like this is
> to have the script deliver pure XML and do all the formatting with
> XSL+CSS. That way the formatter wouldn't need to care what the Perl
> script was doing.

I'm certainly happy to accept someone else's work in that area, and the
restructuring of html_reports should make it much easier to do this.  I
probably won't have time for this significant of a rearchitecture myself,
though.

When making major changes like this, please do be aware that lintian.d.o
is still running on an oldstable system, so cutting-edge Perl modules
probably won't work.

> I don't think my HTML-fu is any better than yours, Russ. In fact I could
> learn a thing or two. I don't understand why [dt id=package-name] when
> #package-name isn't referenced in the .css, but that's probably because
> I'm only looking at this from a formatting POV. Otherwise this looks
> like sensible HTML.

This is for cross-links from other systems, such as the PTS, and within
the lintian.d.o pages (such as from the tags page).

> I'd be happy to put some energy into formatting the output, but I don't
> want to have to even read any Perl. XSL basically turns an XML tree into
> (X)HTML and could easily wrap different tag severities in different
> HTML-tags so each could get their own CSS class. I may be being horribly
> naive here, in which case, a gentle & brief explanation why would help
> me understand better if anyone feels moved. ;)

Well, in order to start with an XML tree to do transforms, someone is
going to need to write the Perl to generate that from Lintian's log.  I
personally don't have time to do that work.  For better or for worse,
Lintian is written in Perl (which does have a rich set of XML libraries).
Another option would be to rewrite the whole reporting infrastructure in
Python, but that's a much bigger project and you'd have to duplicate some
of Lintian's core libraries to get at things like tag descriptions and
package list parsing.