Re: New lintian pages available for testing

Russ Allbery wrote:
Thijs Kinkhorst <thijs@debian.org> writes:
On Thursday 3 January 2008 01:16, Russ Allbery wrote:

    http://lintian.debian.org/reports-testing/
This looks good in general, it's a clear improvement over what we have.

Thanks!

* The HTML pages are now templatized (using Text::Template).  The core of
  many of the pages is still generated by some not-horribly-pleasant Perl
  embedded in the templates, but all of the transformation from data to
  HTML should now be in the templates so that someone can modify them
  independent of the main script.
Great. Would this include the capability to wrap different tag
severities in different HTML-tags so each could get their own CSS class?

Yes, that should be fairly straightforward.  That sort of modification
will require changing the Perl, but hopefully it's not too hideous to
read.  (I admit that I made the Perl a bit ugly to make the HTML pretty, a
long-standing habit of mine from writing other generator software but
possibly not the right choice.)

The HTML output from inside the templates would have probably benefitted
from using some nice module that turns trees into HTML or something, but
given that lintian.d.o's host is still running oldstable, I decided not to
test my luck with fancy Perl modules.

If you want to take a look at how good (or bad) the templates look, the
ones that generated those pages are in:

    /org/lintian.debian.org/lintian-test/reporting/templates

on gluck.d.o.

Not being a DD, I probably can't access this.

My current forward thinking on the presentation of reports like this is to have the script deliver pure XML and do all the formatting with XSL+CSS. That way the formatter wouldn't need to care what the Perl script was doing.

I don't think my HTML-fu is any better than yours, Russ. In fact I could learn a thing or two. I don't understand why [dt id=package-name] when #package-name isn't referenced in the .css, but that's probably because I'm only looking at this from a formatting POV. Otherwise this looks like sensible HTML.

I'd be happy to put some energy into formatting the output, but I don't want to have to even read any Perl. XSL basically turns an XML tree into (X)HTML and could easily wrap different tag severities in different HTML-tags so each could get their own CSS class. I may be being horribly naive here, in which case, a gentle & brief explanation why would help me understand better if anyone feels moved. ;)

My primary interest in this is as one of the Debian derivatives who might ultimately want to put up their own themed (or further filtered) pages.

cheers,

tim