Re: New lintian pages available for testing

Thijs Kinkhorst <thijs@debian.org> writes:
> On Thursday 3 January 2008 01:16, Russ Allbery wrote:

>>     http://lintian.debian.org/reports-testing/
>
> This looks good in general, it's a clear improvement over what we have.

Thanks!

>> * The HTML pages are now templatized (using Text::Template).  The core of
>>   many of the pages is still generated by some not-horribly-pleasant Perl
>>   embedded in the templates, but all of the transformation from data to
>>   HTML should now be in the templates so that someone can modify them
>>   independent of the main script.
>
> Great. Would this include the capability to wrap different tag
> severities in different HTML-tags so each could get their own CSS class?

Yes, that should be fairly straightforward.  That sort of modification
will require changing the Perl, but hopefully it's not too hideous to
read.  (I admit that I made the Perl a bit ugly to make the HTML pretty, a
long-standing habit of mine from writing other generator software but
possibly not the right choice.)

The HTML output from inside the templates would have probably benefitted
from using some nice module that turns trees into HTML or something, but
given that lintian.d.o's host is still running oldstable, I decided not to
test my luck with fancy Perl modules.

If you want to take a look at how good (or bad) the templates look, the
ones that generated those pages are in:

    /org/lintian.debian.org/lintian-test/reporting/templates

on gluck.d.o.

> I was thinking that this could be better implemented by generating one
> page per maintainer with all tags, and that I and O are hidden elements
> by default. A link on the page would then just toggle the visibility of
> that CSS class (just like the legend at the top of the DDPO).

This sounds like a great idea to me; it's just beyond my personal HTML
foo.  However, the new generation system creates a style sheet, which is
currently almost empty, and the idea was that anyone who knows how to do
things like this could centralize all the necessary CSS there.

> The advantage is less output to generate and no need to reload a page
> between toggles. A possible drawback could be that the E/W pages get a
> larger filesize. Are there significantly more I+O tags so that the
> 'full' pages are getting very large?

gluck:/org/lintian.debian.org/www/reports-testing> du -sh full maintainer
30M     full
20M     maintainer

Nah.