Re: Orphaned packages with very low popcon numbers

Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 09:51:28AM +0200, Thomas Viehmann wrote:
>>Basically, this amounts to perpetually keeping obsolete packages. Is a
>>good choice?
>
> Well, at least you've learned why debian has so much obsolete
> junk--the "every package is sacred crowd" comes along every time this
> topic comes up. Yes, it should be obvious that an orphaned package
> that nobody uses should be axed. Apparantly, though, it is not.

"nobody" does not mean the same thing as "only a few people".

I don't think that every package is sacred; if you have a particular
reason to think that a particular package should be removed, great!
But a bulk "anything that is orphaned and has a low popcon number must
be useless" is incorrect.