Re: Orphaned packages with very low popcon numbers

Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de> writes:

> I'd prefer Debian releases to consist of properly supported packages as
> much as possible. It's not as if we want to forcibly delete the packages
> from our user's machines, we'd just acknowledge that they aren't
> maintained anymore.

Me too, but I wonder if we are actually achieving that goal.

Consider a package which is in this category.  Right now it gets some
level of maintenance; it gets bugfixes for RC bugs at least, and other
such things happen.  It gets security updates as we know about them,
and so forth.

If it gets dropped entirely, then the user doesn't get any notice of
that fact; their system just keeps on going as before.  Except that
the package now gets *no* updates instead of minimal ones.

Thomas