Re: PyPI and debian/watch

> On Feb 4, 2015, at 4:32 PM, Stefano Rivera <stefanor@debian.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Donald (2015.02.04_22:06:25_+0200)
>
> Would it be that hard to have fake directory listings on /simple/?
> I mean, surely keeping compatibility there is simpler than having a
> second endpoint just for Debian.

All the data that uscan needs is already on /simple/, you can make uscan work with
it. There is one major problem and one small problem:

1. Major: The /simple/ URLs all have a #md5=<hash> and it’s non trivial to write a
   d/watch file that ignores them and uscan doesn’t by default. You can do it but
   it’s ugly and prone to copy/paste bugs.

2. The URLs on /simple/ point to /packages/, so it requires the 2 arg form of
   d/watch instead of the single arg form.

So you can make uscan work right now with /simple/ (and a few people have) but #1
means that a few of the #debian-python people were not very happy with that solution.
I can’t remove/modify that hash without causing issues with pip/easy_install though.
Originally I was going to just make a /uscan/ that was /simple/ without the hash,
but instead I suggested to #debian-python that a redirector might be better and there
is now one at pypi.debian.net.

>> We talked about this in #debian-python and there was concern that a new version
>> of uscan wouldn’t be in Jessie and then wouldn’t cover the people who need it
>> the most.
>
> Who needs it the most? We could fix it in unstable and backports. The
> DEHS data on tracker.debian.org comes from quantz.debian.org. which is
> currently using devscripts from back ports.

No idea, I’m just repeating what folks said in #debian-python, I have no idea who
runs uscan and on what platforms. Between fixing uscan and having a redirector I
don’t have an opinion since neither one of those have an impact on what PyPI
does.