Re: PyPI and debian/watch

> On Feb 4, 2015, at 3:02 PM, Tianon Gravi <admwiggin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 4 February 2015 at 06:08, Donald Stufft <donald@stufft.io> wrote:
>> If it gets implemented it'll live at /uscan/ because it exists primarily to
>> work around the deficiencies that exist in uscan (Particularly the dificulty
>> in ignoring url fragments).
>
> This seems like we're building a workaround to a tool we could
> theoretically change. :(
>
> "debian/watch" has a "version=3", which is presumably so that there
> can be a "version=4" when deficiencies are discovered -- wouldn't it
> be worthwhile to consider revbumping the watch format and updating
> uscan to have some improved support for edge cases like this?  I know
> uscan has some other open bugs too that could use some thought towards
> a more flexible format to handle cases like this.

We talked about this in #debian-python and there was concern that a new version
of uscan wouldn’t be in Jessie and then wouldn’t cover the people who need it
the most.

I don’t know if that’s true or not but I certainly think that uscan _should_
ignore anything that comes after a # (similarly to how it ignores anything that
comes after a ?). That would solve the largest problem, that the URL fragment
is hard to remove from the d/watch file. The other problem is that /simple/<whatever>/
has files located at /packages/<stuff> but I believe that’s not very hard to work
around.

---
Donald Stufft