Re: How does team maintenace of python module works?

Am 14.02.2013 21:54, schrieb Thomas Kluyver:
> On 14 February 2013 20:29, Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org> wrote:
>
>> I look at the switch to dh_python2 as an example.
>

> I don't think it's a particularly good example, though. Lots of packages
> continue to use the older helpers, and not due to a lack of time - attempts
> to move away from the deprecated helpers still seem to meet considerable
> resistance.

this is your interpretation. pycentral is deprecated for a long time [1]. There
are reasons to limit ourself to exactly one third-party directory [2], so maybe
that should be the broader goal for jessie.

> That causes problems when newcomers don't want to learn
> deprecated packaging methods, and aren't allowed to update packages to use
> the recommended helper.

Agreed, so why not helping with it? Again, why not helping here?

> Back on the VCS question, I fear that the 'all or nothing' road will circle
> back to 'nothing' for a long time. I think that we should allow some
> packages to live in git without forcing a complete migration, so individual
> maintainers can use the VCS they're more comfortable with. Most open source
> programmers have at least a basic familiarity with both, so it shouldn't be
> such an obstacle to working on other packages.
>
> We wouldn't be the only team doing this - Debian Games Team, for example,
> use both git and svn for packaging:
> http://wiki.debian.org/Games/VCS

Now you did point out one discrepancy, which hinders newcomers, and you do want
to introduce another one?

  Matthias

[1]
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=pycentral-deprecation;users=debian-python@lists.debian.org