Re: How does team maintenace of python module works?

On Feb 14, 2013, at 08:54 PM, Thomas Kluyver wrote:

>I don't think it's a particularly good example, though. Lots of packages
>continue to use the older helpers, and not due to a lack of time - attempts
>to move away from the deprecated helpers still seem to meet considerable
>resistance. That causes problems when newcomers don't want to learn
>deprecated packaging methods, and aren't allowed to update packages to use
>the recommended helper.

But as a team we do have only one officially sanctioned helper.  The others
are deprecated.  But okay, let's forget about that for now.

>Back on the VCS question, I fear that the 'all or nothing' road will circle
>back to 'nothing' for a long time. I think that we should allow some
>packages to live in git without forcing a complete migration, so individual
>maintainers can use the VCS they're more comfortable with. Most open source
>programmers have at least a basic familiarity with both, so it shouldn't be
>such an obstacle to working on other packages.
>
>We wouldn't be the only team doing this - Debian Games Team, for example,
>use both git and svn for packaging:
>http://wiki.debian.org/Games/VCS

As I said, I am against splitting team packages across different vcses.  But
I'm also not the team BDFL (well, no one is :), so if I'm in the minority
opinion, so be it.

Cheers,
-Barry