Re: Making Numpy transition less - pydist file painful

On 11/09/2011 06:45 AM, Jakub Wilk wrote:
* Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org>, 2011-11-08, 09:48:
doesn't dh_numpy do that already?

Yes it does, but as said above, the pydist file you want:

numpy_strict python-numpy-api$N, python-numpy (>= $foo)

doesn't contain "python-numpy-abi$N", so we should keep that
somewhere else.

then I don't understand something. If you want to generate
python-numpy-abi$N, add it to numpy_strict. If you want to generate
python-numpy-api$N, add it to numpy (or vice versa)

The new dh_numpy would generate three kinds of dependencies:

- "python-numpy" for arch:all packages,
- "python-numpy-api$M" if --strict is used,
- "python-numpy-abi$N, python-numpy (>= $V)" otherwise.

It's true that we have to store version information somewhere and it
might be tempting to use /usr/share/python/dist/python-numpy for this
purpose.

The "only" problem with the pydist interface is that some people might
start to use it. ;) If we decide to do something fancy in dh_numpy later
on, we'll have to chase them to fix their packages...

I'd say if they do this then they get what they deserve. It's not your job to police external use of internal interfaces.

Scott K