Re: Making Numpy transition less - pydist file painful

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 23:52, Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org> wrote:
> [Sandro Tosi, 2011-11-07]
>> OK, let's try to move it forward somehow: so Piotr, you'd like numpy
>> pydist file to have 2 lines.
>>
>> numpy python-numpy
>> numpy_strict python-numpy-api$N, python-numpy (>= $foo)
>>
>> is that correct? as Jakub, I fail to see the advantage of the first
>> line, and the second one would still be generated by dh_numpy - what
>
> Jakub is right, first line is not needed, that's dh_python2's default
> anyway.
>
>> same question as above - how much do we have to try to complicate our
>> lives in the pydist + dh_numpy instead of just use dh_numpy, that will
>> generate the correct dependencies no matter the python helper the
>> package is using?
>
> you still have to store these dependencies somewhere, no? (unless you
> want to generate dh_numpy at build time) so why not do it in
> dh_python2-compatible way?

I was actually thinking of sed-ding a template with some variables
from d/rules, but that's an implementation detail. But storing the
info in the pydist would mean I'd need to parse it to extract the data
I need to pass to dh_numpy template (if we're going to have one) or
make dh_numpy read the pydist file at runtime (that could be nice too
indeed) and it seems to be missing the abi$M information.