Re: Making Numpy transition less - pydist file painful

* Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org>, 2011-11-08, 09:48:
doesn't dh_numpy do that already?

Yes it does, but as said above, the pydist file you want:

numpy_strict python-numpy-api$N, python-numpy (>= $foo)

doesn't contain "python-numpy-abi$N", so we should keep that somewhere else.

then I don't understand something. If you want to generate python-numpy-abi$N, add it to numpy_strict. If you want to generate python-numpy-api$N, add it to numpy (or vice versa)

The new dh_numpy would generate three kinds of dependencies:

- "python-numpy" for arch:all packages,
- "python-numpy-api$M" if --strict is used,
- "python-numpy-abi$N, python-numpy (>= $V)" otherwise.

It's true that we have to store version information somewhere and it might be tempting to use /usr/share/python/dist/python-numpy for this purpose.

The "only" problem with the pydist interface is that some people might start to use it. ;) If we decide to do something fancy in dh_numpy later on, we'll have to chase them to fix their packages...

--
Jakub Wilk