Re: Making Numpy transition less - pydist file painful

Jakub Wrote:
> Dependencies generated by dh_numpy
> ==================================
> dh_numpy would generate dependency either on "python-numpy-abi$N" (by
> default) or on "python-numpy-api$N" (if a special option, say, --strict, is
> used). The second option would be needed for packages which are overzealous
> at checking ABI unless/until we fix them (we have at least one package in
> the archive which does that).

could you make it in a way that dh_python2 users will still benefit from
it? i.e. extend /usr/share/python/dist/python-numpy file with a second
line similar to:

 numpy_strict python-numpy-api$N, python-numpy (>= $foo)

so that `dh_python2 -p python-foo --depends numpy_strict` can be used.

Note that if "numpy" is in requires.txt it still will be used by
dh_python2... I can add support for something like
`--depends numpy@strict` (which would override "numpy")

The other solution is to disable generating dependencies for numpy if
--with numpy or dh_numpy is detected in debian/rules, but I'd like to
avoid that (there's already a hack that detects dh_pydeb and I don't
like it)