Re: Making Numpy transition less - pydist file painful

2011/11/2 Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org>:
> * Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org>, 2011-11-01, 23:23:

>>> In the other paragraph I argued that actually we should remove the first
>>> line...
>>
>> ... or replace it with unversioned python-numpy (and then you need another
>> one for strict dependencies)
>
> How is that different than removing the line?

OK, let's try to move it forward somehow: so Piotr, you'd like numpy
pydist file to have 2 lines.

numpy python-numpy
numpy_strict python-numpy-api$N, python-numpy (>= $foo)

is that correct? as Jakub, I fail to see the advantage of the first
line, and the second one would still be generated by dh_numpy - what
am I missing? sorry, just a dh_ command less doesn't seem so much
simpler than trying to bend dh_python2 to the numpy rdeps needs.

>>> But anyway, I don't quite understand what problem you are trying to
>>> solve. Surely you can use dh_python2 and dh_numpy together...
>>
>> you don't need dh_numpy if you use dh_python2
>
> Yes, you do.
>
> Out of a few dozens of packages that should have versioned dependency on
> python-numpy, exacty 0 (yes, zero) have numpy in requires.txt.
>
> Conversly, all of the packages that in the archive that have numpy in
> requires.txt (epigrass[0], python-pygrace[0], python-openopt) are arch:all.
> If they are converted to dh_python2 before we kill (or fix)
> /usr/share/python/dist/python-numpy, they'll gain unwanted versioned
> dependency on python-numpy.

same question as above - how much do we have to try to complicate our
lives in the pydist + dh_numpy instead of just use dh_numpy, that will
generate the correct dependencies no matter the python helper the
package is using?

If possible, we can support dhp2/non-dhp2 (see? I'm not trying to
boycott :) ) but i think there should be a real advantage of
supporting both.

I think this is the last point to tick, and then we can probably have
a reviewed solution, hopefully.