Re: packages that raise string exceptions

* Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org>, 2010-05-28, 13:33:
Which tests can fail on newer Python versions? I though newer Pythons are backward compatible, except Py3k.

They are *mostly* compatible, but they cannot be fully 100% backward
compatible.  Modules and features go through a well defined deprecation cycle,
__future__ imports get turned on by default, etc, etc.  Why just today we had
a discussion in #debian-python about string exceptions(!).  Those have been
deprecated for at least 3.5 years and yet there's still (what Piotr, 100+?)
packages in Debian that still use them.

Jakub Wilk found the problem and prepared a list of packages affected:
http://people.debian.org/~jwilk/tmp/string-exceptions.ddlist

anyone volunteers to check them and report bugs?

(string exceptions are not allowed in Python >= 2.6)

Just to clarify: indeed, in Python 2.6 string exceptions have been removed. Attempting to use them raises now a TypeError:

$ python2.5 -c "raise 'eggs'"
-c:1: DeprecationWarning: raising a string exception is deprecated
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
eggs

$ python2.6 -c "raise 'eggs'"
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: exceptions must be old-style classes or derived from BaseException, not str

The list includes only packages that uses a string literal as an argument to raise; e.g. I obviously didn't find instances of:

SpamException = 'spam'; raise SpamException, 'eggs'

Note that some (most?) of the code which is using string literal exceptions is buggy anyway: you cannot reliably catch such an exception unless you catch everything or rely on Python implementation details.

--
Jakub Wilk