Re: possibly exhausted ftp-masters (Re: Do we still value contributions?

Hello Thorsten,

On Sat 28 Dec 2019 at 04:14pm +01, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Dec 2019, Sean Whitton wrote:
>> For packages with simple copyright and licensing, machine readable
>> copyright files can take longer to write than a freeform copyright file.
>
> this discussion started with possible stuff to reduce the time for NEW
> reviews.
> If I look at dgit, why do I need to read sentences like "This is a dummy
> package containing only Debian metadata" in the copyright file? I
> also don't have to be told that GPL is comaptible with GPLv3.
> During the time I need to read such freeform prose to understand the
> copyright situation, I could check several machine-readable files where I
> can capture all important information at first view.

The main reason I referred to dgit's copyright file in this discussion
was because I think the "Contributions are accepted upstream ..."
section is useful to include in d/copyright rather than somewhere else
in the source package, as then all licensing and copyright information
is in one place.  I don't think its inclusion there would noticeably
slow down NEW review.

I agree with you that there is some superfluous information in the
other parts of the file.

--
Sean Whitton