possibly exhausted ftp-masters (Re: Do we still value contributions?

Hi,

Some personal opinions as one of the current batch of FTP trainees.

* The ftp team might be in a (somewhat) negative loop from the
  sustainable development aspect.

Let's first list a couple of facts:
(0) There are a small group of DDs working as ftp-master. Their time and
    energy are limited.
(1) ftp-master is doing hard work, reviewing NEW packages, processing
    RM bugs, maintaining dak, and recruiting new members to expand the team.
	All of these are not trivial things.

(0)+(1) means that: the time that FTP spend on recruiting is quite
limited. Then how "limited" is it?

+ I seriously explained about the slow NEW queue process 2 years ago.
+ I joined the ftp team as trainee about 1 year ago, after 6 months
  since sending out the application mail.
+ the preliminary assessment of the current batch of trainee is still
  not available.
^ My (possibly biased) experience shows that the recruitment process is
  quite slow.

What concerns me most is, what if the FTP team's "quit rate" gets larger
than "expansion rate"? You know what it means from a long-term
perspective.

---

However, accelerating the recruitment process of ftp team looks quite
difficult to all participants, including the ftp-masters and the trainees:

ftp-master:
 * time and energy is limited. doesn't have enough resource to provide
   too much feedbacks to the trainee
 * wants to make sure every new member will be qualified enough to take
   this important role.

trainee:
 * limited time and energy. generally not able to produce a large amount
   of reviews to the NEW packages in a short period of time
 * lacks feed back. they don't know how are they actually doing in
   reviewing the NEW packages.

So accelerating the recruitment process is not easy, given that we will
not lower our quality standards.

---

I think Sean shares some similar feelings.

FTP team shouts for help, and the team seems too "exhausted" to even
accept help ...

I respect all my fellow developers and their endeavor. In this mail
I'm simply describing the fact I saw.