Re: possibly exhausted ftp-masters (Re: Do we still value contributions?

Quoting Sean Whitton (2019-12-29 15:52:57)
> On Sat 28 Dec 2019 at 04:14pm +01, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 Dec 2019, Sean Whitton wrote:
> >> For packages with simple copyright and licensing, machine readable
> >> copyright files can take longer to write than a freeform copyright
> >> file.
> >
> > this discussion started with possible stuff to reduce the time for
> > NEW reviews.
> > If I look at dgit, why do I need to read sentences like "This is a
> > dummy package containing only Debian metadata" in the copyright
> > file? I also don't have to be told that GPL is comaptible with
> > GPLv3.
> > During the time I need to read such freeform prose to understand the
> > copyright situation, I could check several machine-readable files
> > where I can capture all important information at first view.
>
> The main reason I referred to dgit's copyright file in this discussion
> was because I think the "Contributions are accepted upstream ..."
> section is useful to include in d/copyright rather than somewhere else
> in the source package, as then all licensing and copyright information
> is in one place.  I don't think its inclusion there would noticeably
> slow down NEW review.

I agree that it is sensible to include contribution notice in copyright
file.

I don't follow, however, what makes such notice longer to write (or
lesser readable, or whichever other reason) in machine-readable format -
e.g. in a Comment field for the top section.

 - Jonas