Re: Formal declaration of weak package ownership in source packages (was: Replace the TC power to depose maintainers)

On December 11, 2016 8:25:05 PM EST, Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>Enrico Zini writes ("Re: Formal declaration of weak package ownership
>in source packages (was: Replace the TC power to depose maintainers)"):
>> > I endorse this product and/or service.
>>
>> Here's one way to quickly build a service like this:
>
>Great, thanks for the technical tips.
>
>What's needed to make this actually happen ?
>
>I think the initial proposal is simply to move the metadata currently
>in Maintainers and Uploaders into a database which is separate from
>the archive.
>
>I guess the initial UI would mirror the existing "DD authority"
>process.
>
>Who in the project can decide to do this ?  I think this is probably
>the DPL.
>
>After that, we will probably want to further develop the UI and the
>maintainership accession flow.
>
>For example, my suggestion of having a "request to join team" button
>but allowing any DD to add themselves as a Maintainer of a
>solo-maintained package.  Presumably there would have to be a way for
>the MIA team to mark someone as "maintainer emeritus" (ie, used to be
>a maintainer).
>
>Who would make these UI decisions ?

These changes will require, at the very least, policy changes.  We have a process for that.

Unless this thing is somehow opt-in only, be prepared for a GR overriding it.

Scott K

P. S. In case you wonder how maintainerless works, go look at the dusty corners of the Ubuntu archive.