Re: does Debian help detect gravitational waves?

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I know since some of the parts are in Debian Med - but this is "by
> chance" since we share a common interest.  If I would like to promote
> NeuroDebian I would not ignore the chance to be mentioned at the Blends
> entry page[1].  From a promotion point of view NeuroDebian looks rather
> like a derivative than a Blend.  As far as I understood Yaroslav and
> Michael they somehow promote NeuroDebian also under this name in their
> scientific community.  I personally consider this dangerous since if the
> two main propagators might change their jobs in a different direction
> the stuff they invented will be orphaned. (I have seen this happen in
> other derivatives frequently.)

We could continue this discussion and my replies would be like
- NeuroDebian is not a derivative, all our work targets stock Debian
  distribution (sooner or later). We are more of an extension ;) (aren't
  blends are as well?)
- Not that I wish that upon ourselves, but rather to accent
  importance/significance/value of some folks... I wonder where Debian
  Science and Med would end up if Andreas changed his job/moved to
  another direction (I have seen many things happened in my lifetime).

  In contrast, NeuroDebian, like a good cuckoo, contributes its
  kiddos to other blends, thus increasing amount of care (damn thing
  that both major blends we contribute to are in large lead by the same
  guy)

but I would say -- such disgussion wouldn't be productive, so
let's stop here for now ;)

BTW, while building bigger plans -- who is going to the next Debconf? ;)

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Center for Open Neuroscience     http://centerforopenneuroscience.org