Re: does Debian help detect gravitational waves?

Hi Yaroslav,

thank you for your answer! I has many ideas how to improve things for
Debian-Astro. BTW, is there a reason why NeuroDebian is not a Debian
Pure Blend? Is it part of DebianMed?

Yaroslav Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com> writes:
> FWIW, as some might not know, in NeuroDebian project
> (http://neuro.debian.net) we are consciously trying to package any of
> software we maintain so backport builds can be done automagically
> without major additional investment of time with a helper script, see
> for that https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=660208 and
> up-to-date version is always available from e.g.
> http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-exppsy/neurodebian.git/tree/tools/backport-dsc

This looks like a useful tool! Wouldn't it make sense to put it into the
devscripts package?

>> Data analysis is here probably different from storage clusters or web
>> servers.
>
> ;)  I would say that "it is easier", since usually those (analysis
> suites) are leaf packages and thus there is fewer of dependents, so
> providing a new backported version is of lower risk to brake anything.

Sure. Well, almost. We have some packages which are really basic for
others (cfitsio, wcslib, astropy), and some of them are in a rapid
development.

> What I would encourage though is to enable build-time unit-testing.  It
> was of paramount importance/help to us at least, since then we
> catch possible incompatibilities at build time and never ship a backport
> which we know wouldn't work on older system.

Right. I also find the CI tests important, and it would be great to
extend them to backports, experimental and such.

Best regards

Ole