Re: does Debian help detect gravitational waves?

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016, Ole Streicher wrote:

> thank you for your answer! I has many ideas how to improve things for
> Debian-Astro. BTW, is there a reason why NeuroDebian is not a Debian
> Pure Blend? Is it part of DebianMed?

Because we overlap with / part of / superset of both Med and Science, so
we are part of those blends.  We didn't feel like duplicating anything
from those two blends within yet another blend would be of any benefit
to anyone.  And then we provided on top of what blends do not
provide: repository with backports, VMs etc... may be at some
point things would converge somehow but not yet

> > What I would encourage though is to enable build-time unit-testing.  It
> > was of paramount importance/help to us at least, since then we
> > catch possible incompatibilities at build time and never ship a backport
> > which we know wouldn't work on older system.

> Right. I also find the CI tests important, and it would be great to
> extend them to backports, experimental and such.

yes -- autopkgtest CI is great but doesn't cut it for mass backporting
since we don't even want to upload any package backport to distro X if
we know that it is going to fail there.  Thus package build time
testing is necessary.  and then it would indeed be great to setup a CI
using autopkgtest for all the backports to guarantee that they continue
working as additional backports enter the stage.

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Center for Open Neuroscience     http://centerforopenneuroscience.org