Re: does Debian help detect gravitational waves?

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016, Ole Streicher wrote:

> >> +1

> > yeap ;)

> While this is in principle correct, it misses a bit my point: Sure,
> build time tests are essential for backports. However, if you backport
> package A which is a dependency of B, then the build time test of A will
> not test the function of B with the backported A. There is always the
> danger that backported packages break installed ones. That's why I would
> opt for CI tests wherever possible -- usually the build time tests are
> easily rewritten to run on the installed package as well. And for Python
> (which today is a large part of analysis packages), this is really
> trivial.

by no means I am arguing against "CI tests" of any kind, but, again,
post-upload testing only provides indication of newly introduced problems, and
doesn't prevent them (as build-time/pre-upload testing).  As for testing
dependent packages, whenever I am upload some non-leaf, likely to break reverse
dependences, package I use ad-hoc and ugly
https://github.com/neurodebian/neurodebian/blob/master/tools/nd_build_testrdepends
as I have just done for cython to see that the new version caused only 1 new
FTBFS (bug report filed ;)).  I remember that there was a better alternative to
my hackish ugly script.... may be it was this one:

Package: ratt
Version: 0.0~git20150816.0.b060319-1
Installed-Size: 2931
Maintainer: Debian Go Packaging Team <pkg-go-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Description-en: Rebuild All The Things!
 ratt (“Rebuild All The Things!”) operates on a Debian .changes file of a
 just-built package, identifies all reverse-build-dependencies and rebuilds
 them with the .debs from the .changes file.
 .
 The intended use-case is, for example, to package a new snapshot of
 a Go library and verify that the new version does not break any other
 Go libraries/binaries.
Homepage: https://github.com/debian/ratt

Hope this of some value,
Cheers,