Re: does Debian help detect gravitational waves?

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > https://www.lsc-group.phys.uwm.edu/lscdatagrid/doc/reference-platform.html

> > The Ganglia graph (top right corner of the page) appears to be generated
> > on a Debian host using the official packages (it has ganglia-webfrontend
> > in the URL)

> > Drill down into the Ganglia reports and we can even see things like
> > kernel package version

> > http://silkspectre.cgca.uwm.edu/ganglia/?r=hour&cs=&ce=&m=os_release&s=by+name&c=NEMO&h=&host_regex=&max_graphs=0&tab=m&vn=&sh=1&z=small&hc=4

> > os_release: 3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

> Please have a look at the article (BTW released under CC license):

>   https://journals.aps.org/prl/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.116.061102

> The article itself has one thousand of authors from 133 different
> institutes member of the LIGO and VIRGO cooperation. It is a result of
> a huge amount of work by thousands of persons in the last 15 years to
> design, build, improve, operate the instrument, but also to work on the
> theory or simulation.

> For sure Debian has been used somewhere, just like Slackware, MS-DOS,
> HP-UX or any other system have helped at some moment. Just looking at
> one random website from one small subpart of the whole project to
> conclude about the Debian implication in the whole project just doesn't
> make sense. It is just like deducing that pelican helps the Debian
> project because it is used on the Debian blog.

FWIW that link
https://www.lsc-group.phys.uwm.edu/lscdatagrid/doc/reference-platform.html
at least now has already explicit listing

Reference Operating Systems

    Scientific Linux 6.1
    Debian 6.0 Squeeze
    CentOS 5.3 (to be deprecated)
    Debian 5.0, Lenny (to be deprecated)

So I guess Debian was of some notable help, and I am really glad that our work
at least tiny bit contributed to this event.  But that is it.  Somewhat
twisting while overall agreeing with the point of Aurelien's reply --
Debian was probably used somewhere along the way of any recent sizeable
research endeavor simply because it is used in so many scenarios and places.

Was Debian indispensable? probably not,  was it facilitating? hopefully yes.

If all pieces involved were to be attributed in some publication -- that would
have been cool, but now it would simply be not possible to do so adequately at
such a scale.  Shameless plug:  have a look at the http://duecredit.org/
which is intended to help in such endeavors at least for Python world atm.

Cheers
--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Center for Open Neuroscience     http://centerforopenneuroscience.org