Diversity statement for the Debian Project

Hi all,

a recent discussion [1] on Debian Women mailing list made me realize that
the Debian Project, the *Universal* Operating System, doesn't have a
diversity statement [2].

Yet. :)

A diversity statement is a document expliciting something really
important: that everyone (no matter of gender identity or expression,
race, ethnicity, size, nationality, sexual orientation, ability level,
neurotype, religion, elder status, family structure, culture, subculture,
political opinion, identity, and self-identification) is welcome to join
our project.
The *technical* part of Debian Project is already committed to
diversity: we don't accept (in our main repository) licenses
which discriminate for persons, groups or fields
of endeavor (Debian Free Software Guidelines, points 5. and 6. [3]).
IMO is time for a similar statement also for the *community*
part of the Project.

So, I wrote a draft - mainly based on the one [4] created for Ubuntu
by Matt Zimmerman with the help of Mary Gardiner, Valerie Aurora
and Benjamin Mako Hill - and I'd like to propose it to the DPL to be
official published.
But I'd also like to have some inputs from you all, on it.

The draft is attached: we don't have a "Code of Conduct" as the Ubuntu
Community, so I removed any mention to it.

Thanks in advance,
Francesca

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-women/2012/03/msg00006.html (and
following messages)
[2] http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Diversity_statement
[3] http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
[4] http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/diversity
--
"Nostra patria è il mondo intero
e nostra legge è la libertà

Whenever any participant has made a mistake, we expect them to take
responsibility for it. If someone has been harmed or offended, it is our
responsibility to listen carefully and respectfully, and do our best to
right the wrong.

Although this list cannot be exhaustive, we explicitly honour diversity
in age, culture, ethnicity, genotype, gender identity or expression,
language, national origin, neurotype, phenotype, political beliefs,
profession, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status,
subculture and technical ability.

Ideas and wording for this statement were based on diversity statements
from the Ubuntu community <http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/diversity>,
the Python community <http://www.python.org/community/diversity> and
Dreamwidth Studios <http://www.dreamwidth.org/legal/diversity>.

This document is usable under a Creative Commons 3.0 BY-SA license.