Re: Diversity statement for the Debian Project

Francesca Ciceri <madamezou@debian.org>
> a recent discussion [1] on Debian Women mailing list made me realize that
> the Debian Project, the *Universal* Operating System, doesn't have a
> diversity statement [2].

I have three worries:

1. what's the point? What will actually change as a result of this
statement? When someone next starts smearing a fellow contributor
because they objected to a majority-supported action on
religion/belief grounds (for some religions do directly contradict
each other), or offers only obnoxious ways for people to opt-out of
such actions, how will this statement help?  Who do you think would
enforce it and are they willing to do so, or is the DPL willing to
appoint more volunteers who are willing to do so?

2. the continuing existance of the Debian Women mailing list
illustrates one way the whole-project level still does not honour
diversity and creates special spaces for some groups but not others.

3. what if the developers by way of General Resolution reject it?

Regards,
--
MJR/slef