Re: Diversity statement for the Debian Project

Hi,

first of all let me say a *big thank you* for who took a moment (or more)
to think about this proposal, criticizing the form of it, reviewing it,
sending patches and fixes, asking for clarifications or providing them.
And not only in this thread but also in IRC and via private mails.

Even if bikeshedding is sometimes really annoying, this is the right way
to reach a consensus on a such important document and transform it from a
copy-pasted template to *our* diversity statement. :)

Trying to summarize, these are IMHO the most important points emerged:

* (1)long list vs (2)one-line statement

  ** changes proposed for (1):
     - s/race// (Lunar^)
     - s/religions/religious belief or disbelief/ (dkg)
     - technical ability vs skillset and field of expertise (Ian, Russ,
       Enrico)
     - "neurotype" is not a medical/scientific accepted concept, so it'd
       better to not put it beside "genotype" or "fenotype" which are.
       (Charles)
     - +sex (Charles)

Tbh, I prefer (1), I find it more insipiring and moving.
And Kevin is illuminating when he says:

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 19:40:40 Kevin Mark wrote:

> So a statement should explicitly
> list a good mix of what we are not getting, and by 'good mix' I dont mean
> exhaustive. Because if you have a half-way decent one, it will lend
> itself to the idea that you are just darn happy to include other
> less-well-included folks.

A not exhaustive list means exactly that: here's a list of people who
usually feel/are - historically - discriminated, there could be other way
of discriminating on grounds of other criteria, and we will not accept
them, as well as we don't accept the most-common-kinds-of-discrimination
explicitly listed.
The most-common-kinds-of-discrimination (i.e. the ones put on the list)
are just examples.

* isn't better a GR to give this statement more force/legitimation?

I'd prefer one, yes. But it's also true that in the next months people
will work hard for the upcoming freeze and it seems a waste of time to
ask them to vote when we can reach a consensus via mailing list.
If we can't reach a consensus here, I will propose
a GR about it.

So, attached the new text. It's still the "list" version, including
fixes proposed. I've also added the paragraph proposed by Russ because -
even if he said otherwise - it seems perfect to me.
But if the choice will be between a one-line statement or no statement,
I'll choose the first. :)

Cheers,
Francesca
--
"Nostra patria è il mondo intero
e nostra legge è la libertà

Whenever any participant has made a mistake, we expect them to take
responsibility for it. If someone has been harmed or offended, it is our
responsibility to listen carefully and respectfully, and do our best to
right the wrong.
We also expect people to be constructive members of the community.

Although this list cannot be exhaustive, we explicitly honour diversity
in age, culture, ethnicity, genotype, gender identity or expression,
language, national origin, phenotype, political beliefs, sex,
profession, neurotype, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, sexual orientation,
socio-economic status, subculture, skillset and field of expertise.

We welcome contributions from everyone within their areas of
particular expertise. While much of the work of the Project is
technical in nature, we will value and encourage contributions to
the Project from those with expertise in non-technical areas and
welcome such contributors as part of our community.

Ideas and wording for this statement were based on diversity statements
from the Ubuntu community <http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/diversity>,
the Python community <http://www.python.org/community/diversity> and
Dreamwidth Studios <http://www.dreamwidth.org/legal/diversity>.

This document is usable under a Creative Commons 3.0 BY-SA license.