Re: On terminology

* Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> [100706 00:11]:
> It seems clear from the murmurs of assent in this thread that
> “maintainer” is an overloaded term, but perhaps we're not agreeing on
> which usages should be changed.
>
> So Russ, what do you think “maintainer” should mean in Debian, and what
> current usages are not within that definition?

In my eyes the important point is that a term should not clash with the
meaning outside Debian.

If I maintain a debian package containing software X,
then I am the maintainer of the Debian packages of X.

I hate it that since some time I can no longer say I am the
Debian maintainer of X, just because someone thought "Debian maintainer"
was a nice term to give some new special meaning inside Debian.

	Bernhard R. Link