Re: On terminology

On 07/05/2010 11:12 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> writes:
>> Re: Steve Langasek 2010-07-05 <[🔎] 20100705164805.GA26407@dario.dodds.net>
>
>>> I haven't seen anyone propose a good name that it can be changed *to*.
>>> Shouldn't that be the first step?
>
>> It would probably be "New Developer". But before everyone rushes to
>> update lots of documents, let's try to implement some of the changes
>> to membership like "Debian Contributor". I'm sure along that route lie
>> more naming updates that would make work done now redundant.
>
> And in the process, PLEASE rename Debian Maintainer to something that
> isn't completely confusing given the existence of a Maintainer field in

Unfortunately I fear it might be a bit late for that as DM is used at an insane
*lot* of places now (keyring, dak, bdo, ...)

> all of our packages and all the other uses of "maintainer" in Debian that
> pre-existed the Debian Maintainer system and mean something else entirely.
>
> I'm happy to propose a GR to do that (and also make it clear that such
> details can be changed going forward without a GR) if that will help.

Better to do that with a general restructuring of all the membership stuff
instead of starting over and over again.

 GPG Fingerprints: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79
                   ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F