Re: Open Letter to Anthony Towns about the d-i mediation ...

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 02:12:32PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 12:21:41PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Are all DDs equal?
>
> No. Debian is a meritocracy; "those who do, get to decide". There is
> nothing wrong with that. On the contrary -- there /would/ be something
> wrong with a Debian where anyone, even those who maintain just one small
> unimportant package and do nothing more, get to make important decisions
> on core principles of Debian.
>
> Luckily that's not the Debian I know.

So, since i do the work for d-i powerpc support, i get to decide ?

Somehow, this doesn't seem to be the case though :)

But somehow this is not really the discourse i have been seeing in the recent
discussions about money and dunk-tank, and stuff like that.

Let's say that for equivalent work, all DDs are equal. But then, what measure
will you use for judging the equivalence of people's contribution ? And there
you go, down a road which leads to the question of why money in debian is
problematic, and into the danger of different manners of corruption and
whatnot. Dangerous ground if you ask me, so, saying all DDs are equal, and
should thus have equal right to contribute to debian in their own measure, is
a position a lot more safe to have.

Friendly,

Sven Luther