Re: Open Letter to Anthony Towns about the d-i mediation ...

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 12:01:14PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> On 10830 March 1977, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> >> And thats the point you get wrong. No, you dont "have a right to have
> >> svn access". You have the right to fork d-i and run your own, but no
> >> right to demand you get access to anything anywhere.
> > Why don't have i a right to get access ? I am a DD as much as anyone, i do
>
> Whatever you are or have done (or anyone else), that makes no "right" to
> get access. It makes it possible to get it, but never ever a right.

Well, i disagree with that. Or rather, let's take it the other way around, i
believe that the d-i folk have no right to withdraw the svn commit access.

> That doesnt even attach only to you. Thats for everyone out there, as
> long as its not within a business and you are the boss...

Yeah, it is a more profund question, of who the debian infrastructure belongs
to. Does it belong to a small elite, or do it belong to the debian community
as a whole.

The next question this asks is one of equality and fairness. Are all DDs equal ?
Or are there not ? And if so, what is used to create hierarchies of DDs ?

Upto now, my understanding was that not all DDs are equal in facts, because of
the time and technical skills they are able to give to debian. People being
able to do more good work where defacto 'superior' to other DDs with less
time, because they where more able to dictate technical choices.

But rejecting someone or someone's work based on social conflit, to the
detriment of our users, i strongly believe that this is anathema to what
debian should be, altough i know there are precedents.

Friendly,

Sven Luther