Re: Issues regarding powerpc and Sven

On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 11:24:47PM -0500, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 02:40:08PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Altough you are wrong, aj didn't really give a official position,
>
> To be clear: I gave my position, as DPL. That isn't the final position
> of the project, since it can also be appealed to the technical committee
> (which it subsequently has been), or considered by the developer body at
> large by general resolution. That does not make it any less "official"
> though.

Yeah. It didn't really solve anything though, proof of which is we are still
all loosing time following this discussion.

> > to follow the d-i team's position without giving any valable explanation, and
> > clearly pointed that he considered the Technical Comitte and/or a GR the right
> > way to continue this.
>
> I don't think focussing on the reasons for the disagreement is useful,

Ah, well, the idea of a mediation is to solve the disagreements, if you don't
focus on the reasons of these disagreements, chances are good that your
proposed solution will fail to address the real issues. Mediation attempts
over social issues are very different from issues ported to the TC for
example, where a technical judgement is enough. Mediation over social issues
cannot be successfull without understanding the human beings behind the DDs.

Not sure if the DPL is best placed to solve those issues, we don't really
elected him (well you this time, but the same for those before) on those
criterias alone. Maybe a social-issue-delegate or team would be a better
solution. We have had enough sociologists who did studies of the debian
community and such, there is probably some experts of that field who could
comment on those needs.

> and I don't think going back to where we were two months ago will result
> in any useful improvement compared to how things actually progressed
> from two months ago.

No, but it may improve on how things will be in two months, and beyond.

Friendly,

Sven Luther