Re: uol.com.br and petsupermarket

Hei Lars,

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 03:48:58PM +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > Posting to -devel already brings one a certain amount of spam.
> > Anything that reduces that will make posting to -devel more
> > attractive and help improve communication in the project.
>
> Kicking people off Debian lists without proper reason is really, really
> bad for the project.

So an uncooperative ISP isn't a valid reason, in your book?

There were < 100 subscribers from uol.com.br and that ISPs challenge /
response mechanism is affecting (at least) > 5000 people.

Considering the amount of time that has been spent on this particular
issue (setup and performing traces, etc.) -- I think the benefit of
allowing uol.com.br users to post to the list is outweighed by the harm
their ISP does to our other users.

Only their users have a financial relationship with uol.com.br and only
they can really force the issue.  We've tried to be polite. We've tried
to be nice. It hasn't worked.

I'll note that we are by no means the first distribution to 'give-up'
and ban uol.com.br either[1]. Ancedotally I hear a few others
distributions have done similiarly.

> Much worse than a single autoresponse message that
> is easy to filter off, until it can be stopped.

I imagine spammers say this to themselves at night "It's only one more
message. They can filter it out."

> > I'm unsure whether this blacklisting is the best way to deal
>
> Anand's message only talked about unceremonicous unsubscriptions, not
> blacklisting.

Well I said "as of now, uol.com.br are now considered spam addresses" --
sorry if that wasn't very clear.  But what I meant is uol.com.br
addresses can not subscribe nor can they post to @lists.debian.org any
longer.

That policy isn't set in stone, and I realise it isn't a fix for the
problem

Kiitos,
Anand

[1]: <http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-November/msg02632.html>

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are