Re: Debian UK

> On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 07:15:19PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
>> Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> wrote:
>> > The way we price this stuff has always been based on selling it as cheaply
>> > as possible, while making the numbers round for convenient change at Expos,
>> > and aiming to do just better than break-even [...]
>
>> How can anyone define a not-for-profit business if that's not one?
>
> I can't, because in my vocabulary "not-for-profit business" is an
> oxymoron?

In the UK, we can construct companies in a number of ways.

A company Limited by Shares is owned by its shareholders, and expected
to attempt to return a profit to them.

A company Limited by Guarantee isn't and is not expected to produce a
profit. They are less common, though.

We can also form a Co-operative, owned by its members and not
necessarily expected to make a profit.

Businesses trade as any of these happily.

cheers, Rich.

--
rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw@shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml