Re: Pledge To Killfile a person

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 03:23:18PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 04:10:04PM +0200, Enrico Zini wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 02:13:12PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> Did you not read my original mail? I thought it quite clear. I'll
> repeat the relevant paragraph here:

Thanks for providing a nice example to the discussion.  I asked for more
information, and you just quoted your previous message, adding none.
You claim your point is not being addressed, yet you don't do anything
to help people addressing it.  In the meantime, you indulge in a
personal attack.

If I used your words, I'd add that your mail is a needlessly stupid
thing, and a good example of why things are the way they are[1].  Of
course this wouldn't lead us anywhere except in an escalation of fight
where who actually has something better to do stops answering first.[2]

That's the experience I've had most of the times you answered any of my
mails of IRC messages in which I asked for help.  So, well, if what you
want is an opinion of your social contributions to Debian, here it is,
out of personal experience.

This doesn't mean I would killfile you: most of the time I even find
your grouchiness entertaining.  A kind of Wowbagger the Infinitely
Prolonged mascotte for the project.  I think it's cool.

It took me too much time, though, to realise that that's the credit you
generally deserve (except when you really try hard to be helpful, which
has happened sometimes).

I think that the problem in the project is not that you're there, but
that it normally takes too much time for people to learn how to cope
with you.  I guess there's many things in this field we all need to
figure out a bit better, and generally killfiling you won't help in this
quest.

The main problem you are part of is when people mistake you for an
opinion leader in Debian[3], or when you (why?) work hard to shatter the
motivation of some fresh insecure developer.  People need to become
smarter and more confident in what they do, I guess.

We're all here for learning, and you give us an opportunity to remember
that ignoring the unpleasant things is not a way to move past them.
Just please don't expect people to thank you for it.

Ciao,

Enrico

[1] Randomly taken from messages of yours in debian-devel.
[2] Except you claim for yourself the right to this kind of escalation,
    and you come out as a victim when someone else has nothing to do and
    starts playing a similar game (namely, an escalation of fight).
[3] Which happens, since you post a lot of unneeded sharp comments to
    which decent people don't reply, but that tend to be interpreted by
    "Andrew was right, as the other had nothing to say back".